Professor Boet Dommisse presented his latest book at a launch on the 26th March 2014, in St Francis Church, Simon’s Town.
“The Six Saints of Simon’s Town 1814 -2014” chronicles the 200 years of the first Anglican Church established in Southern Africa.’ St Georges Church’ as it was then called ,was built opposite Jubilee Square at the site of the present ‘Pescado Restaurant’ and a plaque will be unveiled by Bishop Margaret.Vertue on the 26thApril, followed by a procession to the present St Francis Church.
In 1819 torrential rains caused the original church to collapse and by the time the Simon’s Town Anglican congregation had collected enough funds to rebuild, Cape Town had started building the ‘St Georges Cathedral-so they had to rename their church ‘St Francis Church’ on it’s completion in 1837.
Boet’s book deals with the activities of this congregation with sensitivity and humour and also relates the happenings to current world history. A great read and we thank Professor Dommisse for his meticulous research. Furthermore he was able to get the MR Kingswell Charitable Trust and the Simon’s Town Cultural and Heritage Trust to fund the printing and publishing costs, so that the entire proceeds of the sale of this book are donated to the St Francis Outreach Trust. This group of caring people has been able to build and support the “Homes To Grow” foster homes that nurture orphaned, vulnerable and abandoned children in townships in the Cape Peninsula. These funds are most welcome towards the purchasing of another plot.
Uwe Hass, Trustee Tel: 021 7865487